SHIFT - Sustainable Homes Index For Tomorrow
SHIFT enables you to measure, monitor and improve your environmental performance. PLUS you will be able to demonstrate your environmental credentials to stakeholders such as funders and regulators, through formal certification and receipt of one the following awards:
SHIFT will assess your organisation on over 50 different environmental areas, including your performance on CO2 (kg CO2 per meter squared per year) in your offices and housing stock, water usage (litres used per person per day), how well you are adapting to climate change (flooding, overheating and water shortage risk), the percentage of waste from retrofit works you are diverting from landfill. These measurements have been developed over time with the housing sector.
This assessment is about measuring performance through key performance indicators and driving change. Those key performance indicators you will be measured against are the established national government legislated or departmental targets for environmental performance. Your performance is illustrated relative to your peers and recommendations are provided on how you can improve.
Leading organisations share their work and achievements through independent consultation with other members, as well as through attendance at SHIFT national conferences.
Comprehensively measure and improve your environmental performance
Membership to SHIFT provides your organisation with an array of benefits:
- Assessment of four areas of your operations: Strategy & management, Office practices, Existing build and New builds,with performance measured against various metrics
- Development of a framework to measure environmental performance
- Comprehensive bespoke report with recommendations on how to improve
- Clear comparison of performance against peers
- Assistance in reducing fuel poverty
- Options for improving carbon emissions of operations - both in offices and stock
- Means of adapting to climate change through flood risk assessment and water efficiency analysis
- Improving staff and residents well-being with higher quality homes and offices
- Free places at national events to network and share best practice
- Opportunities to present leading works at national conferences
- Access to exclusive offers from corporate partners
- Discounts on award-winning courses and consultancy services
What do our clients say?
|"...gives a focus and strategy to improve."||"...understand what other social landlords are doing."|
|"...assessments proivde you with a gap analysis to
|"...helps us communicate performance to staff,
partners and residents."
“Being a SHIFT member underlines an organisation's commitment to sustainability which is why we were keen to get on board. One of the key benefits is that businesses are able to have their performance independently evaluated.”
David Bennett, Chief Executive, Sanctuary Group
“Climate change is already having a significant impact...and it is vitally important that we all understand our environmental impacts and continually work to improve them. SHIFT does this admirably for the housing sector."
Robert Napier CBE, Chairman, Homes & Communities Agency
Award-winning SHIFT events
SHIFT membership entitles members to attend all SHIFT events. The award winning events bring members together with leading experts in the field to share best practice actions. These events are tailored to address current challenges in the sector as well as challenges identified by SHIFT members directly and through the assessment process.
Dates for 2015 events
Some of the following events are exclusive to SHIFT members
10th June 2015
|Business case for retrofitting (London)* - includes "SHIFT route map to Gold" workshop.|
15th July 2015
|Business case for retrofitting (Manchester)* - includes "SHIFT route map to Gold" workshop.|
14th October 2015
|Sustainability and housing: What's next? (London)* - includes "SHIFT route map to Gold" workshop.|
10th November 2015
Daytime - Measuring and reducing fuel poverty (Manchester)
Evening - SHIFT best in class awards black tie event (Manchester)