SHIFT - Sustainable Homes Index For Tomorrow
The Sustainable Homes Index For Tomorrow, SHIFT, is the UK housing sector's independent sustainability benchmarking and best practice learning network.
SHIFT was developed by Sustainable Homes in partnership with DECC, Environment Agency, HCA, Mayor of London, UK Green Building Council and WWF.
Measure, monitor and improve
SHIFT members commit to independent assessment, peer to peer learning and continual improvement. Members benefit from a UK wide support network with access to expertise and guidance. As a body, SHIFT members own and manage homes for over two million residents nationwide and have substantial influence in the housing sector.
Organisations join SHIFT at all stages of their sustainability journey. Most come to SHIFT looking for access to real learning, some with little prior experience of addressing environmental issues. Some members come with very strong existing credentials and are looking to boost this through external accreditation and learning from others. Members can, and do, achieve real, tangible improvements through SHIFT.
How does SHIFT help?
SHIFT members are recognised as environmental leaders. Membership provides many benefits, including:
- Independent accreditation and certification of environmental performance
- Clear comparison of your environmental performance against peers
- Assistance in reducing fuel poverty
- A robust and established framework for analysis
- Bespoke report on how to improve
- Advice and expertise from recognised experts
- Free places to attend and speak at national events - network and share best practice
- Publicity and leadership...
To learn more about the benefits of SHIFT, click here.
How SHIFT is helping the sector
Click on the playlist to view all videos
The SHIFT awards
SHIFT members are leading the sector - demonstrating their commitment to measuring, monitoring and improving their environmental performance. Formal accreditation and recognition is given through awards, ranging from commended to platinum.
|Lord Deben congratulates SHIFT members||Attendees enjoying the SHIFT awards||Landlords celebrate their achievements|
Sector recognition and awards
"SHIFT provides benchmarking, learning and improvement around environmental sustainability"
- Homes and Communities Agency
The Chartered Institute of Housing has identified SHIFT as a key accreditation scheme for housing providers.
- Chartered Institute of Housing, 'Greening Your Organisation', October 2010